CHILLI SIN CARNE (NO MEAT)
- Boil rice per instructions on packet.
- Fry the onions in the oil and cumin.
- Drain the beans and add them to the pan, along with tinned plum tomatoes.
Season with salt and pepper.
- Simmer for 15mins for optimum flavour.
Why this meal is so good: Beans are a great source of protein, especially when you probably won’t be able to get high-in-protein foods like chicken or fish.
You are able to play around with this meal. Any beans can be used. Don’t like rice? Try couscous instead.
You can make this meal cheaper by using only one or two varieties of beans for instance.
FUNGI & HAM PIZZA (NO CHEESE)
- Add water to the flour and knead
until dough becomes smooth and
- Roll into a flat circle with rolling pin.
- Fry onions in a tablespoon of oil till soft.
Add the tomatoes and seasoning.
- Slice your toppings and layer on top.
- Cook in the oven at 180°C for around 15mins, or until cooked.
Why this meal is so good: It’s a pizza! Enough said. Play around with the toppings. Be as creative as you like.
ALL BEAN BURGER & CHIPS
- Empty kidney beans (drained) and coriander into a mixing bowl.
- Mix with a fork, breaking the kidney beans.
- Add tablespoon of oil and breadcrumbs to bind mixture.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Shape mixture into flat burger.
- Grill burger on both sides until brown.
- Slice the potatoes long and thin.
Par-boil them in water for 5 minutes
- Heat up a tablespoon of oil, with
a fat from the sausage, in the
frying pan and fry the chips till
golden. Heat the frying pan on the highest temperature.
- Season with salt.
Why this meal is so good: Kidney beans are a great source of protein.
Missing ketchup? Why not put a bit of the pizza base sauce aside for your make-shift ketchup!
Why not substitute the bun with a chapati?