TRADITIONAL JAM & PORRIDGE
- Add water to the bowl of oats.
- Heat in microwave for approximately 60 seconds, or until oats have reached desired texture.
- Add a tablespoon of jam.
Why this meal is so good: Just a tablespoon of jam completely transforms a bowl of oats and water into quite a tasty Live Below The Line breakfast.
Oats provide a wide range of important health benefits.
Oat protein is nearly equivalent in quality to soy protein, which World Health Organization research has shown is equal to meat, milk, and egg protein.
Porridge is particularly good while you are Living Below The Line. Oats release carbohydrates slowly, keeping you fuller for longer.
This recipe only costs 9p leaving you lots left over for the rest of the day!
CHAPATI JAM PANCAKES
- Mix flour and water in a bowl. This is usually a ratio of 2:1 of flour and water.Heat in microwave for approximately 60 seconds, or until oats have reached desired texture.
- Knead the dough till smooth and elastic. It should not be sticky.
- Sprinkle some flour on a rolling board.
- Place the dough on the board and roll out the dough into discs, much like a Mexican tortilla, using a rolling pin.
- Heat the frying pan on the highest temperature.
Add the chapatti to the frying pan, and keep on high heat for 10 seconds. This ensures the chapatti does not stick to the pan.
Turn down to a medium heat and cook on both sides till chapatti is cooked.
Why this meal is so good: Chapattis are extremely diverse and easy to make. Not to mention, extremely cheap! You do not need oil to fry a chapatti, but you can use oil if you prefer.
Chapattis are a great substitute for a variety of staple foods, not just pancakes. Chapattis can be your substitute for bread, your naan for a curry, your wrap for a fajita, and as you will see in these recipes - a chapatti can also be used as the base of your Live Below The Line pizza.
TRADITIONAL ENGLISH BREAKFAST
- Fry the sausage in a pan. No
need for oil.
- Slice the potatoes long and thin.
Par-boil them in water for 5 minutes
- Heat up a tablespoon of oil, with
a fat from the sausage, in the
frying pan and fry the chips till
golden. Heat the frying pan on the highest temperature.
Mushrooms & Tomatoes
- Dice the mushrooms into
Season with salt and pepper.
Fry the mushrooms and half tomato in the remaining oil from the chips until soft.